The Unknown League
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pokemon Music

Why Latias should be legal in the league:

3 posters

Go down

Should Latias be unbanned?

Why Latias should be legal in the league: I_vote_lcap100%Why Latias should be legal in the league: I_vote_rcap 100% 
[ 1 ]
Why Latias should be legal in the league: I_vote_lcap0%Why Latias should be legal in the league: I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Why Latias should be legal in the league: I_vote_lcap0%Why Latias should be legal in the league: I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 1

Poll closed

Why Latias should be legal in the league: Empty Why Latias should be legal in the league:

Post  Pif Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:41 am

I tried to make a thread saying why Latias should be illegal but I didn't really realize it was illegal already ._.

Introduction: Who Is Latias and What Makes an Uber Pokemon Uber
Latias is currently banned by this league, to Uber status. It is in my opinion that banning Latias has limited the metagame, taken out some fun. Latias should be un-banned into the OverUsed (OU) tier once more. For those of you who are not familiar with this adorable dragon, this link http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-dp/380.shtml should enlighten you on her. For a Pokemon to be Uber, it must be too centralizing; it must make the metagame too focused on defeating said Pokemon. Latias in no way centralizes the metagame around her nor any other Pokemon. A Pokemon's usage or usefulness in the Uber tier has no bearing whatsoever on its OU status. For example Deoxys is Uber even though it is rarely used in Uber because Deoxys-A almost entirely outclasses it. That does not matter since Deoxys is too powerful, too centralizing for OU. The following are Latias sets* that are used commonly in today's OU metagame (where Latias is legal).

Latias@Choice Specs
Timid: 252 SpA, 252 Spe, 4 Def
~Draco Meteor
~Surf
~Trick
~Psychic

Latias@Life Orb
~Draco Meteor
~Dragon Pulse
~Surf
~Psychic/Recover

Latias@Leftovers
~Calm Mind
~Recover
~Dragon Pulse
~Hidden Power Fire/Surf/Psychic

Latias@Leftovers
Timid: 252 HP, 252 Spe, 4 Def
~Calm Mind
~Recover
~Dragon Pulse
~Refresh

*Soul Dew is not on any set because of Soul Dew Clause, which makes Soul Dew illegal in OU matches.
Why Should Latias be Legal in Our League

Latias does not, simply put, fit the characteristics of an Uber Pokemon. As an offensive Uber, she would have to be able to destroy a large portion of the metagame while holding no true universal counter in normal circumstances. There are though, certain counters that immediately come to mind. Specially defensive Scizor and Scarf Tyranitar can come in and trap Latias while not being OHKOd by any common move. Blissey can easily stop a sweep for any set bar Calm Mind Refresh, even Trick will not stop Blissey from walling Latias if Blissey can get her poisoned or burned first. As a defensive Uber, Latias would have to wall a significant portion of the metagame in normal circumstances. In no way does Latias fit this regard, Dragon, Ice, Dark, Ghost and Dark moves make very quick work of her. Even seemingly bulky 80/90/130 defenses are undermined by Sandstorm, lack of recovery on most sets and a huge Pursuit weakness. Latias simply isn't walling entire competent teams. Latias is just "too strong" many would argue. This just is not true. There are other special sweepers with huge Special Attack, Azelf whose offenses dwarf Latias and can boost twice as fast as her with Nasty Plot, Infernape whose Fighting type gives him a way to get around the all-end-to-special-offense known as Blissey or Togekiss who has a support and offensive movepool Latias could never dream of. Latias is not just up to par with what is considered Uber.

Conclusion

Latias is not dismantling stall teams like Heracross did in UnderUsed (UU) nor is it scoring a KO everytime it comes in on a resisted attack like Salamence did in OU. If Latias was truly too centralzing, Blissey would be using Calm Mind to combat Latias with Refresh or Specially Defensive Scizor would be more common to trap and KO her. The fact of the matter is, she is not an Uber. Discuss blah blah blah, I am only posting this for discussion's sake. Feel free to vote if you think she is worth of Uber status or not. Rebuttals are welcome!

Pif

Back to top Go down

Why Latias should be legal in the league: Empty Re: Why Latias should be legal in the league:

Post  YUSER Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:27 am

So let me get this straight... You can't ban latias since it's already banned, so you want to unban it? It looks like you're doing this just to change *insert random thing that can be changed*

YUSER

Back to top Go down

Why Latias should be legal in the league: Empty Re: Why Latias should be legal in the league:

Post  Drorrock Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:02 am

Personally i agree latias is very marginal, to list some other counters: Bandmamoswine, Bulky bandgallade (this set is VERY rare, but i have used it to extremely great effect vs latias, able to come in and easily take any attack from even specslatias, and ko back with shadow sneak)

However, the correct latias set can usually sweep most teams, especially if they arent prepared for latias.

I might suggest retesting latias as suspect in the current meta

Drorrock

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down